Oregon State University
College of Liberal Arts
The College of Liberal Arts invites applications for the position of Associate Dean. This is a 12-month, 1.0 FTE position. The appointee to this position must be a tenured Associate or Full Professor at Oregon State University at the time of appointment.
The College of Liberal Arts houses six interdisciplinary schools: Arts and Communication; Public Policy; Psychological Sciences; Language, Culture and Society; History, Religion and Philosophy; English, Literature and Film. The Associate Dean will report directly to the Dean of the college, and will assist in providing leadership to the College faculty and staff in the administration of the College.
Minimum qualifications for this position are:
• PhD in a Liberal Arts discipline.
• Applicant must have demonstrated experience associated with the rank of tenured Associate or Full Professor; possess graduate faculty status in the Graduate School as well as evidence of teaching excellence and significant record of outstanding scholarship.
• Administrative/management experience in an academic unit such as service leading to significant outcomes on committees, service as department chair or program director.
• Demonstrated ability to work with a wide range of faculty and staff, university groups, friends and alumni of OSU, and external funding agencies.
• Demonstrated commitment to promoting and advancing diversity.
Job duties include:
Actions described below will be overseen/developed in collaboration with Dean, other CLA Associate Dean, School Directors and/or appropriate college committees.
70% Perform and oversee administrative duties, provide leadership and effort related to advancing the interests of the college.
Administration and Leadership
• Work with the Dean, Deans’ staff, College leadership, faculty and staff to advance the strategic goals of the College.
• Work with the Dean and School Directors to oversee implementation of budget and fiscal policies and planning.
• Work with the Dean and the College leadership to develop faculty search, startup and retention strategies.
• Pursue appropriate development projects.
• Seek and recommend external funding opportunities.
• Work with Dean and CLA Leadership Team to identify a list of targets for improvements and initiatives.
• Assist Dean and School Directors with reports, systems, and governance issues.
• Provide leadership for academic program development.
• Serve on appropriate college and university committees .
• Provide leadership in development of policies and procedures as necessary.
• Act as a liaison to appropriate units on campus on behalf of the college.
• Serve as mentor and college representative in student conduct issues.
• With the Dean, translate CLA goals/strategy for student experience into specific action.
• Support recruitment efforts of underrepresented groups.
20% Liaison with various areas strategically connected to CLA
• Build and maintain significant collaborative relationships with central administration, OSU colleges, and external and alumni audiences.
• Collaborate with CLA Dean’s office leadership team to determine the College’s strategic and operational direction.
• Support externally funded research efforts.
• Initiate and facilitate faculty in collaborative research within and outside the college including national and international collaboration.
• Provide faculty mentoring to support faculty successfully through promotion and tenure.
• Other Duties that may include continuing research/teaching.
• In the absence of or at the request of the Dean, serve as the Dean's proxy at meetings and in completing administrative functions of the university.
• Serve on appropriate college and university committees as needed.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume/CV and a statement of interest to the search chair: Susana Rivera-Mills (Susana.Rivera-Mills@oregonstate.edu). Deadline for full consideration of applicant materials is May 10, 2013 at 5:00 p.m. Position will remain open until filled. Email subject line for your submission should be Associate Dean.