Music auditions and scholarships at Oregon State University
Undergraduate music program and scholarship auditions at Oregon State are open to all interested students. Scholarship awards are based on performance ability, experience, scholarship and financial need. Music scholarships require an application and an audition, as well as a commitment to participate in music. All students wishing to major in music at Oregon State are expected to audition at one of the dates listed below.
Other scholarship opportunities are available through the university. It is to your advantage to apply early for admission to the university in order to be eligible and considered for other scholarships. For more information, contact the Office of Financial Aid.
We encourage all experienced musicians interested in music at Oregon State to come for a live audition.
Continuing student music scholarship information
If you are a continuing student who wishes to be considered for music scholarships, please submit the continuing music student scholarship application form by May 1, 2018.
After submitting the completed scholarship application form, you must submit hard copies of the following:
- Required: Unofficial OSU transcripts.
- Optional: Copy of your FAFSA showing EFC.
- Optional: A personal statement addressing any special/extenuating circumstances.
- Optional: A personal statement regarding your professional or educational musical goals.
Please deliver these items in hard copy form to Kirstin Stein in Benton Hall room 101. Electronic copies will not be accepted.
New student music scholarship information
Music scholarship audition dates and locations for 2018-2019
October 25, 2017 - Beaver Music Preview Day - The LaSells Stewart Center
February 17, 2018 - Oregon State University Benton Hall - Corvallis
February 19, 2018 - Oregon State University Benton Hall - Corvallis
March 1, 2018 - West Linn High School - West Linn, Oregon
March 3, 2018 - Ridgeview High School - Redmond, Oregon
1. Complete and submit the Audition Registration and Scholarship Application (Due by 5 p.m. on Feb. 1, 2018)
2. Please have two references complete the form prior to your audition. They will automatically receive a link to it via the email addresses you provide in the application.
3. Print out and have your school registrar or counselor complete the Scholarship Academic Records Form and submit by mail (Attn. Kirstin Stein, 101 Benton Hall, Corvallis, OR 97331), email, or bring with you to your audition.
What to bring:
- Any letters of recommendation or academic documents that were not previously submitted.
- Your instrument, if applicable.
- Your music.
The music scholarship audition will consist of:
- A performance of up to 10 minutes of solo literature for your instrument or voice. An accompanist will be provided. We would prefer that you include at least two works or contrasting musical styles. Jazz players will be required to demonstrate classical music ability.
- You may also demonstrate your ability on a secondary instrument, but the main criteria for scholarship awards will be based on your primary instrument performance.
- An interview about your background and aspirations.
- A short sight-reading exercise.
If you are not able to audition on one of our scheduled dates, you are welcome to send an audio or audio-visual file. CD’s or DVD’s should provide at least ten minutes of music of at least two contrasting styles. Audition recordings will not be returned. While generally we are not able to schedule special individual auditions, you may make a special request for extenuating circumstances for special consideration to Dr. Jason Gossett, Scholarship Coordinator.
Contact music area directors
We welcome your interest in music at Oregon State University. If you have questions regarding our programs, the scholarship audition procedure or any other matter, please feel free to contact one of our area directors: