Music scholarships at Oregon State University
Music scholarships at Oregon State are available for all students based on their performance ability, experience, scholarship and financial need. Music scholarships require an application and an audition, as well as a commitment to participate in music.
Other scholarship opportunities are available through the university. It is to your advantage to apply early for admission to the university in order to be eligible and considered for other scholarships. For more information, contact the Office of Financial Aid.
We encourage all experienced musicians interested in music at Oregon State to come for a live audition.
Continuing student music scholarship information
If you are a continuing student who wishes to be considered for music scholarships, please submit the continuing music student scholarship application form by May 1, 2018.
After submitting the completed scholarship application form, you must submit hard copies of the following:
- Required: Unofficial OSU transcripts.
- Optional: Copy of your FAFSA showing EFC.
- Optional: A personal statement addressing any special/extenuating circumstances.
- Optional: A personal statement regarding your professional or educational musical goals.
Please deliver these items in hard copy form to Kirstin Stein in Benton Hall room 101. Electronic copies will not be accepted.
New student music scholarship information
Music scholarship audition dates and locations for 2018-2019 will be announced mid-Summer 2017.
1. Complete and submit the Online Scholarship Application (Due by 5 p.m. on Feb. 1, 2018)
2. Print out and have at least two individuals complete the Scholarship Reference Form and submit by mail, email, or bring with you to your audition
3. Print out and have your school registrar or counselor complete the Scholarship Academic Records Form and submit by mail (101 Benton Hall, Corvallis, OR 97331), email, or bring with you to your audition.
You may bring the Scholarship Reference and Academic Records forms with you to your audition to complete your application requirements.
Complete reference forms may also be emailed in advance directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write 2018-2019 Music Scholarship References in the subject line of the email.
What to bring:
- Any letters of recommendation or academic documents that were not previously submitted.
- Your instrument, if applicable
- Your music
The music scholarship audition will consist of:
- A performance of up to 10 minutes of solo literature for your instrument or voice. An accompanist will be provided. We would prefer that you include at least two works or contrasting musical styles. Jazz players will be required to demonstrate classical music ability.
- You may also demonstrate your ability on a secondary instrument, but the main criteria for scholarship awards will be based on your primary instrument performance.
- An interview about your background and aspirations.
- A short sight-reading exercise.
If you are not able to audition on one of our scheduled dates, you are welcome to send an audio or audio-visual file. CD’s or DVD’s should provide at least ten minutes of music of at least two contrasting styles. Audition recordings will not be returned. While generally we are not able to schedule special individual auditions, you may make a special request for extenuating circumstances for special consideration to Dr. Christopher Chapman, Scholarship Coordinator.
Contact music area directors
We welcome your interest in music at Oregon State University. If you have questions regarding our programs, the scholarship audition procedure or any other matter, please feel free to contact one of our area directors: