The NMC departmental Advisor will collaborate with you on all things related to your DCA major or NMC minor. Think of the the Advisor as the expert of the major & minor requirements in the department. You can speak with any Academic Advisor about any opportunities, issues or problems you face as a student. Advisors will not share what is discussed with your parents, family or friends (not even if they’re paying for you to be at OSU), in part because it’s against the law to do so (Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act - FERPA).
Declaring the major:
Meet with the NMC department Advisor;
Meet with an advisor in the College of Liberal Arts central office
3. CLA will send the change of major form to the Registrar within a few days, or you can bring it to the Registrar for processing in the Kerr Admin building
Questions about the Bacc Core:
If you have specific questions about Bacc Core, please refer to CLA central advising. Call 541-737-0561 to set up an appointment or ask about drop-in hours.
With the NMC department academic adivsor:
Every year you need to meet with the advisor during spring term to get a new PIN in order to register for your fall classes. Without a PIN, you will not be able to register. The PIN you receive for fall registration is good for a year.
Making an Appointment:
To make an advising appointment, please either come to the main office in 030 Snell to schedule an appointment or call the office number at (541)-737-1492, follow the prompt if no one answers.
- Write down any questions you would like to ask when you come for your appointment.
- Review your schedule of classes. Write down classes you are interested in taking.
- Be thinkng about goals - graduation by a certain time, studying abroad, etc.
- Make a list of your other commitments - sports practices, work, family responsibilities, etc. This will keeep your plan on a realistic schedule.
- Keep your MyDegrees Planner up to date. This is a useful tool for letting your advisor know what you are thinking and planning.
Make a Plan:
Before you meet with an advisor it is a good idea to fill out a plan in MyDegrees. MyDegrees is a tool to help students plan for their academic goals and track their progress throughout their OSU experience. It is used for course planning, advising, and degree verification. The information in MyDegrees is visible to you anytime.