Environmental Arts and Humanities Graduate Assistantships

The Environmental Arts and Humanities program offers graduate research assistantships (GRA) and graduate teaching assistantships (GTA) to highly qualified applicants. These assistantships may place students with professors in the College of Liberal Arts or in other participating OSU Colleges, such as Forestry, Science, or Agricultural Sciences.

Assistantships are for 9 months (during the academic year). These provide a stipend, health insurance benefit, and remission of tuition. 

All graduate assistants are required to:

  • Perform the full duties of service as determined by Environmental Arts and Humanities
  • Enroll in a minimum of 12 credit hours each term of their appointment during the academic year (9 credits during the summer). Audit registrations and enrollment in OSU Extended Campus courses may not be used to satisfy enrollment requirements for graduate assistant salary/stipend, tuition remission, or health insurance benefits.
  • Make satisfactory progress toward an advanced degree.

Decisions on GRA and GTA positions are separate from admissions decisions. To be considered for a GTA or GRA appointment:

  1. Indicate your interest on the OSU Application for Graduate Admission in the “Other Graduate Questions” section.  This step ensures that you will automatically be placed on the assistantship request list upon admission to graduate school.
  2. In your application, include a brief statement  (approximately 250-300 words) indicating your qualifications to act as an assistant to a professor in the classroom. Duties typically include grading, and may include teaching. All GTAs are presumed to have competence in some area of the College of Liberal Arts, and this competence should be identified and discussed. For example, if you see yourself doing well as a GTA in History courses, explain why. If you see a better fit with courses in English literature, Philosophy, Ethnic Studies, or another field, explain why. In addition, if you have particular competence to be a GTA in courses in other participating Colleges (Forestry, Science, and Agricultural Sciences), you should discuss this, because there may be additional funding opportunities available.