Percussion students practicing at Benton Hall.

Music offers undergraduate programs leading to the BA or BS degree in music, a variety of baccalaureate core courses for students with little or no background in music, and opportunities for qualified students to perform in bands, choirs, the symphony orchestra, chamber groups and to study performance, music education or music production. Students wishing a greater curricular choice may wish to combine music study with courses in another department in the College of Liberal Arts for a liberal studies major. Undergraduate minors in general music and popular music are also offered.

At the graduate level, we offer the Professional Music Teacher Education (PMTE) program, where students may pursue the Master of Arts in Teaching: Music Education (MAT) degree or the Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies (MAIS) degree and receive the Oregon Teaching License. OSU’s graduate programs in music have been approved by Oregon’s Teacher Standards and Practices Commission and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education. Programs are available for individuals seeking both the initial and/or continuing license in music at all levels of authorization. The continuing license may be earned through completion of a master's degree and three years or more of successful teaching.

Scholarships are available for music majors and for outstanding performers. Auditions and interviews for the 2019-2020 academic year will take place in January and February, 2020. Selection is based on musical and academic achievement.

Career possibilities in music include teaching in schools, private instruction, performing in orchestras or other professional ensembles, music librarianship, arts management, music business, and recording engineering.