Online MPP: Applied Policy Capstone Project (PPOL 501; 6 credits)
An Applied Policy Capstone Project (MPP Essay) is required of all MPP students. The capstone project should focus on a policy issue/problem of relevance to the student’s current position or a policy area where the student has career or public service aspirations. Capstone projects will be judged on how well the following five goals are addressed:
- Illustrate an in depth, detailed and nuanced understanding of a specific issue, topic or question in the field.
- Illustrate an awareness of the theoretical issues and arguments raised and discussed in the literature on the subject.
- Express the ideas, concepts and arguments advanced in the paper with precision and rigor.
- Enlarge the reader's understanding of the issue and topic.
- Propose policies to address the issue/problem.
The Capstone project should strive to be equivalent in content, sophistication and technical expertise to a publishable paper in a respected scholarly journal. The project can be on any subject in public policy, as agreed upon by your committee. There are no limitations or preferences for a particular theoretical or methodological approach.