- About SHPR
- Academic Programs
- Current Students
- Faculty & Staff Directory
- Alumni and Friends
- Nepal Study Abroad
- **Remote Teaching**
- **Remote Advising**
"Considering the vast wealth and opportunity stratification worldwide, the uncertain future of anthropogenic climate change, and failures to meet these challenges (amongst others) with the action required, seems to require individuals to reassess our moral duties to act, and how we act, so as to alleviate harms."
- Thomas McElhinny,
MA Graduate Student in Applied Ethics
The Applied Ethics Certificate is open to undergraduates in conjunction with any undergraduate degree program at Oregon State University. Three concentrations for the Applied Ethics Certificate have been established, but creating an individualized program is also possible.
The certificate will prepare students to:
1. Develop moral perception, including capacity to identify and discern between an ethical question, a scientific question, a political question, an aesthetic question, and a legal question.
2. Cultivate the moral and empathic imagination, as reflected in abilities to understand an issue from another person's perspective.
3. Develop skills in moral reasoning and deliberation, especially in the capacity to apply ethical principles in a moral deliberation process to concrete issues of moral choice.
4. Cultivate personal moral responsibility, expressed through moral foundations questionnaire, and development of personal case studies of moral choices.
5. Improve sensitivity to moral ambiguity and tolerance for different opinions, as reflected through civility in discourse and philosophical charity.
A minimum of 28 credit hours of approved coursework is required including:
PHL 205 Ethics (4)
PHL 280 Ethics of Diversity (4)
PHL 325 Scientific Reasoning (4)
PHL 342 Contemporary Ethics (4)
PHL 380 The Body, Medicine & Culture (3)
PHL 405 Reading/Conference
PHL 410 Internship
PHL 440 Environmental Ethics (3)
PHL 443 World-Views & Environmental Values (3)
PHL 444 Biomedical Ethics (4)
PHL 450 Ideas Matter (1)
PHL 470 Philosophy of Science (3)
PHL 499 Special Topics (by approval)
PHL xxx Any listed Philosophy course
ETHICS and SCIENTIFIC INQUIRY
AC 460 Biotechnology: Perspectives & Cases (3)
ETHICS and the ENVIRONMENT
ANTH 481 Natural Resources & Com. Values (3)
ETHICS, HEALTH and MEDICINE
ANTH 483 Medical Anthropology (3)