Admission applications are made to the OSU Graduate School (http://gradschool.oregonstate.edu/admissions/process) and those meeting minimum Graduate School Requirements are forwarded on to the SPS. A committee evaluates the applications and makes final admission decisions. Applicants are admitted to begin ONLY in Fall terms. The Ph.D. is not offered in an online version. The program is not designed to offer a terminal Master's degree; only applicants who intend to earn a Ph.D. should apply.
Deadline: First Friday in December; the deadline for Fall 2021 is December 4, 2020.
Applicant Qualifications: Applicants should possess a strong undergraduate background in experimental design and analysis, including passing coursework in Research Methods and Statistics. The SPS requires a minimum undergraduate grade-point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale), and cumulative grade-point averages of 3.4 or higher are preferred. Particular emphasis is placed on grades in psychology courses and statistics as well as overall performance in the last two undergraduate years.
GRE General Test scores at or above the 60th percentile on at least two of the three subsections (i.e., Verbal Reasoning, quantitative Reasoning, Analytical Writing) are preferred. Submission of Psychology Subject Test GRE score is optional. Note: For applications for admission in Fall 2021, GRE scores are optional.
Other factors, including the content and difficulty level of students’ prior curriculum, breadth of experience (e.g., study abroad, courses outside psychology), and research experience (lab or applied settings, special populations, knowledge of particular research methods) receive additional consideration.
Documents Required by OSU Graduate School
1. Academic Records/Transcripts
2. Test Scores (See TOEFL requirements if you are an international student)
3. Three letters of reference from letter writers who know you well and can comment on your preparation for graduate training. Please note that applicants should send the online request from the OSU application system to their letter writers as soon as possible and long before their own application is complete.
4. If applicable, Resident Alien/Permanent Resident Card and Financial Documentation (see Graduate School Website)
Additional Documents Required by OSU SPS
1. GRE General Test scores (official scores sent from ETS are required) Note: For applications for admission in Fall 2021, GRE scores are optional.
2. Statement of academic, research, and career objectives (1-2 pages only). This statement should specify your proposed focus of study, research interests, career goals, and how the Ph.D. program would help you meet those goals. Please note, the application process at the Graduate School online portal asks for this statement in two separate spaces; it is only necessary to upload your document once.