Entering students should have background in performance and be able to read music. Rudimentary keyboard skills and some knowledge of basic theory are useful.
Upon completing the music program, you will earn either a B.A. or a B.S. in music.
Required Core Classes for ALL options/emphases:
MUS 177. Group Lessons, Piano (1)
MUS 121, MUS 122, MUS 123. Literature and Materials of Music I (3,3,3)
MUS 125, MUS 126. Literature and Materials of Music Lab I, II (1,1)
MUS 135, MUS 136. Aural Skills I (1,1)
MUS 221, MUS 222, MUS 223. Literature and Materials of Music (3,3,3)
MUS 315. Introduction to Conducting (2)
MUS 321. Literature and Materials of Music III (3)
MUS 324. History of Western Music (3)
MUS 325. *History of Western Music (3)
MUS 326. History of Western Music (3)
Upper-division Electives (10)
- Departmental degree requirements are 47 credits, of which 24 must be upper division.
- College of Liberal Arts allows only 12 credits of MUP courses to be applied toward a degree.
- A grade of C– or better is required for all courses used to complete music major requirements.
- These courses cannot be taken with S/U grading.
- Transfer students must demonstrate competency in the areas of music history, music theory, aural skills, and piano skills.
- Placement examinations in each of these areas must be completed by Wednesday of the first week of classes.