Minors in Ethnic Studies take core courses on "race" and ethnicity and select a major area of concentration from those listed under the major. The minor internship, which is optional, consists of three credits.
Minor Requirements (28-30 required credits)
Students will work closely with a program advisor to determine a program of studies that best meets their needs. A grade point average of 2.0 and a grade of C- in all minor course work are required. Individualized research or study is limited to 3 credits.
Ethnic Studies Core - 6 credits
- ES 101 Introduction to Ethnic Studies (3)
- ES 201 Inventing Ethnic America (3)
200-level Courses - 8 credits
- Chicano-a/Latino-a Studies: ES 212, 213, (3, 3)
- African American Studies: ES 221, 223, (4, 4)
- Asian American Studies: ES 231, 233 (4, 4)
- Native American/Alaskan Native Americans: ES 241, 243 (4, 4)
- Intro to Pacific Island Studies: ES 260 (4)
14-16 credits of upper division electives with at least 2 courses at the 400-level, to be approved by the major advisor. With approval of minor advisor, student may take some of these electives from a list of non-program offerings.
Minor internship (ES 410) is optional. If internship is taken (3 credits), upper division electives will be reduced to 9 credits and student needs to take ES 455 Internship Seminar (1 credit).